ECC Achievement Award
The ECC Achievement Award was originally introduced to the industry in 1988 as the ECC Division
- Bold risk-takers
- True visionaries
- Leaders with integrity
- Professionals who have had a lasting and positive impact on the competitive face of
- Candidates who possess stature among their industry peers.
Past recipients of this award vary from high-office executives to doctorate-level engineers. Dating all the way back to the ‘80s, these amazing examples of industry pioneers are:
2021 RECIPIENT: GREG GARLAND
Chairman and CEO of Phillips 66
Greg Garland is chairman and CEO of Phillips 66, a diversified energy manufacturing and logistics company. A chemical engineer, Garland has 40 years of industry experience in technical and executive leadership positions within the oil and natural gas and chemicals industries.
Previously, Garland had served as senior vice president, Exploration and Production, Americas, for ConocoPhillips since 2010. Prior to joining ConocoPhillips, Garland was president and chief executive officer of Chevron Phillips Chemical Company, which is now a joint venture between Phillips 66 and Chevron. Before his election to that position, Garland served Chevron Phillips as senior vice president, Planning & Specialty Chemicals. His prior experience includes serving as general manager of Qatar/Middle East for Phillips, a position he assumed in 1997. From 1995 to 1997, he served as general manager of natural gas liquids after serving as manager of planning and development in planning and technology. From 1992 to 1994, he was manager of the K-Resin® business unit.
Garland began his career with Phillips in 1980 as a project engineer for the Plastics Technical Center. He later worked as a sales engineer for Phillips' plastics resins, business service manager for advanced materials, business development director, and olefins manager for chemicals.
He is the chairman and CEO of Phillips 66 Partners. He serves on the board of directors for Phillips 66 Partners, DCP Midstream, Amgen, the Barbara Bush Houston Literacy Foundation, the Greater Houston Partnership, Junior Achievement for Southeast Texas, and the National Petroleum Council. He is chairman of American Petroleum Institute and a member of the engineering advisory board for Texas A&M University. He is also one of the founding CEOs of the American Cancer Society’s CEOs Against Cancer initiative in the U.S. Gulf Coast region and a member of the Board of Visitors for MD Anderson.
Garland received a Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering from Texas A&M University in 1980.
2019 Recipient: Janice L. Tuchman
Janice L. Tuchman
Editor-in-Chief, Engineering News-Record
For the past 2 decades, Janice (Jan) Lyn Tuchman has served as Editor-in-Chief at Engineering News-Record (ENR), the magazine the industry depends on for weekly news, long-term trend analysis, and in-depth features on important events and accomplishments in construction. For most industry leaders, Jan is something of a fixture—
Jan received a BS in Journalism with a minor in Architecture as well as a master’s in Journalism at
To keep the industry informed, Jan keeps the magazine focused on current market challenges and
As part of her commitment to recruiting young people into construction, she led a federally funded project to custom-publish a series of magazines for high school students about high-growth industries such as construction. The program, called In Demand, published a million
2018 Recipient: Neil Duffin
- 2017 - Jacqueline Hinman, CH2M
- 2016 - James G. Slaughter, Jr. S&B Founder (retired)
- 2015 - John W. Dalton, Sr. - Wood Group Mustang (retired) — Watch the video
- 2014 - Richard Tucker, Founder, Construction Industry Institute, National Academy of Construction
- 2013 - Emmitt Nelson, Shell (retired), Co-Founder Zero Injury Institute
- 2012 - Alan Boeckmann, Chairman, Fluor
- 2011 - Khalid Farid, Sr. Vice President, Strategic Planning, AMEC
- 2010 -
Dr.Jorge Vanegas, Dean, College of Architecture, Texas A&M University
- 2009 - Don Vardeman, Vice President of Worldwide Projects, Anadarko
- 2008 - Louis J. Cabano, Chairman, Pathfinder LLC
- 2007 - Noel G. Watson, Executive Chairman, Jacobs Engineering Group
- 2006 - Bill Greehey, Chairman of the Board, Valero Energy Corporation
- 2005 - James B. Porter, Jr., Du Pont
- 2004 - Bill Higgs and Paul Redmon, Mustang Engineers
- 2003 - Larry Evans, AspenTech
- 2002 - Jeet Bindra, Chevron/Caltex
- 2001 - Ed Merrow, IPA
- 2000 - Hugh K. Coble, Fluor Corporation
- 1999 - John Mihm, Phillips Petroleum Company
- 1998 - William A. Brookshire, S&B Engineering & Constructors Ltd.
- 1997 - W. I. (Irv) Doty, Shell Oil
- 1996 - Ted C. Kennedy, BE&K Inc.
- 1995 - Shelby Pierce, Amoco Corp.
- 1994 - Stephen D. Bechtel, Jr., Bechtel Group, Inc.
- 1993 - Robert H. Miller, E.I.
duPontde Nemours & Company
- 1992 - Dr. Joseph J. Jacobs, Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc.
- 1991 - Wallace L. Tanner, Shell Oil
- 1990 - Dave Tappan, Fluor Daniel
- 1989 - Al Crosby, Exxon
- 1988 - Albert Dib,
Bubler, King & Bubler